Friday, 4 August 2017

the fault in our stars by John Green


Where has this book been all my life? Seriously. HAVE I BEEN LIVING IN A HOLE??? After reading Paper Towns by John Green, I was like: meh. But the fault in our stars...wow!!!!!! I have got so many things to say about it, I don't even know where to start.

First of all, everyone is so brave. The parents, the kids and adults who are fighting cancer, the ones who have fought it, the ones who know they are going to die... Just amazing. If I was diagnosed with cancer I would just crawl into bed and cry. But nobody in this book does that. They get on with it, make the most of their lives. That's a whole new level of bravery. Cancer is such a hard topic and John Green tackled it really well.

Next there was the fact that this book was so real! So truthful yet heart-breaking. It made me laugh and cry and fall in love along with Hazel. It made me want to give Isaac my eyes, Hazel my lungs and so forth. The fault in our stars may be sad but it's one of the most moving books I've ever read. (I know, I say that a lot, sorry.) It delivers a message.

I loved the way the two main characters called each other by their full names: Hazel Grace and Augustus. Utterly adorable. I felt like they were a real couple, like they actually existed. I wouldn't have been suprised if I got on the train tomorrow and overheard them chatting about An Imperial Affliction. (I don't understand this title, can someone please explain?) John Green is so good at bringing his characters to life.

Then there was that plot twist. OH MY GOD. I'm not going to give anything away but that was one hell of a shock. I get that it made the storyline more interesting but still, WHY???? I hate the stupid universe for the injustice that is cancer, and how it ruins lives.

The thing about the fault in our stars is that I COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN! I literally read it in like a day. It was all so adorable and I found myself really caring about the little people, the background characters that John Green only mentioned once or twice.

I think I might have a problem with comparing books, because the fault in our stars totally reminded me of A quiet kind of thunder by Sara Barnard. Girl meets boy, girl goes to watch movie at boy's house, fall in love, go abroad...still.

I really hate to ruin this perfect, flawless review ( thank you, thank you very much), but I have to. I feel bad. This book didn't make me cry as much as I wanted to. I mean, I did get a bit teary at the end but I did not bawl my eyes out like I'd hoped I would. Maybe I'll watch the movie and see what happens.

Also, I absolutly DESPISE Van Houten, even at the end. WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS??!!

So, with that small complaint, I will now explain what the fault in our stars is about:

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

There we go, the utterly amazing the fault in our stars!!! This book is immidiatly going on my favorite book shelf and not coming back down. Except when I read it, obviously. And without further ado, I give this book...four stars!!! Yay. Thank you so much for reading, it means a lot!!! Did you cry whilst reading this book? Have you seen the movie? Is it better or worse than the book?

Other books by John Green:

-Paper Towns *

-An abundance of Katherine's *

-Looking for Alaska (sounds interesting...)

-Will Grayson, Will Grayson

-Let it snow

Poppy xxxx


"Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed, presumably because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death."  

2 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so glad you loved this book too! It's definitely one of my FAVOURITES and I totally feel like a reread now. 😍 Also I haven't Read A Quiet Kind Of Thunder but I reeeally want to so this actually inspires me to hurry up and read it. ;D Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

My August 2017 TBR

Hello!!!!! Very nice to see you all again. Well, not see you....but you get what I mean. Yes, I am aware that I am a very inconsistent blog...