Wednesday, 5 July 2017

Dumplin' by Julie Murphy: mini spoilers and apologies!

Hi!!! Sorry I didn't do a post at the weekend and on Wednesday, I was really busy and in a blogging slump. (also my computer was being an idiot and not working) But I think that this book definetly makes up for it. Thank you!



I bought this book for two reasons:

1: it was really cheap (for a book)
2: I'd heard some good reviews on various blogs.


 Dumplin' made it's way up my list of favorite books really quickly, it was just so amazing! Willowdean (the main character) has become my role model, the sort of girl I would want to be. She doesn't care what people think about her appearence and just acts like herself. Until Bo comes along and ruins it all (in my opinion.) I secretly wanted Will to end up with Mitch, I thought he was the guy for her, but I guess if Bo makes her happy... Then there was Willowdean's mum. I had mixed feelings about her. She was really nice when she was talking about Lucy and at the end when Will helped her with her dress but then she was horrid about the fact that her daughter was fat!! That I just could not stand. It's the way she lives, deal with it. I got SO angry at Will when she kept stopping from talking or texting Ellen. I was like: FOR GOD'S SAKE WOMAN JUST GET IT OVER WITH. Then I banged my head on the table in despair. My favorite character was Hannah. She might be mean and insulting on the outside, but deep down she's lovely. The night she chatted with Will revealed a whole new side of her nobody new about. She was such a suprising person that I adored.
This book was really truthful, it's the sort of thing that happens in every day life and I liked that sort of raw reality. It just hooked me from the beginning and I didn't put it down until it was finished. Plus, Julie Murphy introduced me to Dolly Parton who isn't half bad. Obviously, this book can't be perfect and there were some things I didn't like. I would have wanted it to be longer!!! I can not survive without a Dumplin' 2 or something like that. I mean, who won the beauty contest? (so proud of Millie, by the way), how does Bo and Will's relationship go? What about Tim and Ellen? I also would have loved a good cry at the end. All my favorite books have a tear-jerker moment...except this one. I read this is french but it was still really good!
Right, if you haven't read this book then you'll think I'm talking gibberish so I'll just get on with what it's about.
Willowdean is fat. But she's ok with that. She reckons the best thing to do with a bikini is wear it. Her mother organises the annual town pageant, and fondly calls her daughter Dumplin'. Willow's ok with all that too, but when love comes to call and best friends start to change, then suddenly Will isn't quite as ok with everything, so how is she going to deal with these knew challenges? And when is she going to get another kiss like THAT one, again?
So apart from no crying this book ticked all the boxes and I give it 4.5 stars or 4.99 if that's possible.

Other books by Julie Murphy:
-Dumplin' *
-Side effects may vary
-Ramona blue

Thanks for reading!!!!! Do you feel the same way Will does? Have you gone through something similar? So this book is for anyone who doesn't feel good in their skin, this will help you realise that you should just be yourself and not care about other people.

Poppy xxxxx

"all the best things in my life have started with a Dolly Parton song. Including my friendship with Ellen Dryver."

No comments:

Post a Comment

My August 2017 TBR

Hello!!!!! Very nice to see you all again. Well, not see you....but you get what I mean. Yes, I am aware that I am a very inconsistent blog...